Arina Bloom of Insider worked as a flight attendant for two years. Here are her best pre-flight tips:
- Wear comfortable clothes. She recommends shoes made of a breathable material and compression socks for long flights.
- Pack sunscreen to wear on the plane. The sun that comes through the windows is very powerful and you can be exposed to stronger UV light than usual.
- Remove all your accessories before getting to the front of the line for the metal detector.
- Moisturize and hydrate before your flight. Aircraft air is extremely dry. She recommends bringing travel sized essentials such as and cream, lip balm, and eye drops. She recommends face cream for during the flight and sheet masks/eye patches post flight.
- Always arrive at the airport early. She says you never know when traffic or lines at TSA are going to be slammed. In many cases, they won't refund missed flights for late passengers.
- Eat a meal before your flight. Airport food is terribly overpriced. Save yourself the money and eat prior. According to Gordon Ramsey you canteen bring food on your flight!
- Stay hydrated. Drink water or kombucha before or during your flight. Our bodies go through a lot of stress due to the changes in altitude and climate and staying hydrated helps.
- For long flights, do some yoga or light stretches prior. Sitting in the tiny plane chairs for several hours can cause your muscles to ache. Stretching before helps alleviate this.